Monday, October 19, 2009

Le Poisson Rouge!

The cello professor at DePauw, Eric Edberg (see blogroll), just wrote an excellent review of perhaps my favorite venue I've ever been to for both "pop" and "classical" music (I'm going to start inventing words I think), Le Poisson Rouge on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village.

The boyfriend and I saw an awesome show in the round there this summer: the Fiery Furnaces playing I'm Going Away a good two months or so before the album was released. An awesome band with a semi-metal sound despite the bass clarinet, cello and violin, and no guitar--called Newspeak; I don't think they have anything released as of right now--opened.

Here are the Popular Tags on their website:

Popular Tags

indie dance rock soul experimental hip hop singer-songwriter folk indie pop electronica author pop indie rock world contemporary classical funk alternative psychedelic dj classical electronic hip-hop jazz ambient electro

Seriously.

Also, the bathrooms are fucking sweet and there's all these cool sculptures that look like they have lava pouring out of them.

Whatever. Go. Because the boyfriend and I still get e-mails from them EVERY WEEK being all "Hey. Why? and some random-ass awesome string quartet are going to be here this week. And Michael Showalter's gonna be just hanging out. But, like, whatever. We're bored." And they hurt us. So please do us the honor of going in our place.

No comments:

Post a Comment