Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crepes sound good right now.

Warmed up on Paul Edmund-Davies' melodic transposition exercise for twenty minutes today, followed by ten of Maquarre No. 3--trying to memorize it in F Major now, which, as far as the second line goes, may have temporarily put me back at square one--then half an hour of the second movement of La Montaine, really working on differentiating between staccatos and accents. So pretty much exactly an hour today, plus an hour lesson and an hour of flute choir.

My lesson today was really kind of invigorating and good. Anne loved the Saint-Saens and we've decided I should play it at my recital (picking out repertoire for that is also killing me a little bit; there's just too much good music out there--plus, I do already have Assobio a Jato with Kara, my cellist friend, which will kick ass). It probably helped that I was playing in a recital hall with a beautiful flute sound. I played the Brahms No. 1 solo and it was incredible. I sounded so loud! My old headjoint sounded fine, but I never felt like I could play loudly. It's a pretty fucking awesome feeling. Sigh. New love.

I need to read a Flute Talk column by Michel Debost for my next lesson, "Fertile Sloth". I suspected it, but I just confirmed that I read it when it first came out in Summer 2007. It's probably not the best thing for me to read right now, since I'm trying to be industrious (that was another thing, Anne and the whole "creative habit" Twyla Tharp business kind of spoke to me today about making yourself practice even when you don't necessarily want to). But...otherwise the ol' OCD will kick in. And that won't be good for anyone. So reread it I shall! And, if I listen well enough, perhaps get some pleasure reading in along with it....

No comments:

Post a Comment