Monday, September 21, 2009

Apres moi, le deluge. Of vomit.

I just took a shower and spent the whole time saying "13, 22, 17, 19, 16!" because I took my practice notes on my hand with a blue ballpoint pen.

Sad face.

So today it was 13 minutes of P.E.D. warmups, 22 of Maquarre (oh, Maquarre. Up to Ab now, I kind of forgot it existed for most of this week.), 17 of La Montaine (keeping up the tempo is the big issue right now but I have faith), 19 of the 2 movements of C.P.E. Bach (butter) and 16 minutes reading the Liebermann concerto.

I didn't practice yesterday due to post-festivity vomit and a visit from the boyfriend. The occasion? Our university orchestra concert, which went amazingly well (the vom subsided for good about two hours pre-performance, but I think this weekend still warrants a drinking break). My parents were even able to hear it in New Hampshire over the internet, which was the best part.

Speaking of orchestra, we just started working on Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe. It reminds me of my days in the Boston Youth Symphony; the part is written just like Debussy's La Mer. DPU has spoiled me...Daphnis is pretty hard to read, but I have faith in myself. Of course, I was hoping for the first part (I'm going to need to record the famous solo for an audition this winter), but I was assigned the second. It's fine, especially since I don't have an assistant who will double me at inappropriate times, but there was this totally weird tension in the flute section that's never occurred before while we waited to hear our parts. No drama, please. I'm excited to have orchestra music I actually need to practice, and I figure just being around the piece so much will help me do well on that audition.

That's the next thing: new projects! Since I submit the CFC CD this Friday, I need to start working on my big three for this year: my Aspen audition, my concerto for this year's competition, and my junior recital. Since Aspen asks for a Conservatoire piece, I'm thinking of learning Pierre Sancan's sonata for both Aspen and the recital instead of reviving the Prokofiev Sonata as I originally planned for this year. It's a hard enough piece that working on it for that long shouldn't be too boring. I think with Assobio a Jato and Romance, the Sancan will give me my full half-hour for my recital, or very close.

For the concerto, I'm leaning toward the third movement of the Liebermann, though still wavering between that and the first movement. I'll have to give it a listen a few more times before I make my decision. The Rodrigo is going on the shelf for now. It was fun to challenge myself, but I have decided that it's ugly. Much better than saying that it's too hard for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment