Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm so getting my period.

Guess what. I practiced.

More like played.

I'm afraid today's playing was unloggable, since it was more about getting me to remember why I want to do this instead of nitpicking. My teacher (and only reader--hi Anne!) is having our whole studio do practice logs, and I HATE doing them (sorry Anne!). I'm too neurotic for that and they make me cry. Anyway, after having a long, weepy chat with my equally tortured filmmaker boyfriend, a nap and two episodes of Gossip Girl, I realized that I'd feel like a huge loser if I didn't play today.

So I played and I'm so glad I did. Only slow things. My P.E.D. melodic exercises, The Swan, Romance, the first movement of the C.P.E. Bach sonata...and best of all, the solo from Daphnis and Chloe and Dance of the Blessed Spirits. I also needed to practice in a hall (I was kind of trancey. I just kind of floated into the hall. No white cells for me today.), which really helps me and I think I should try to do it regularly. Not every day, lest I grow complacent about my sound, but once or twice a week. Something about the still air of an empty auditorium, the dimmed lights in the audience, and the echoes of my footsteps on the hardwood just does wonders for my motivation and there's no place I'd rather be. I also love having space to walk slowly while I play sometimes.

Anyway, the whole incident was a total flashback to my last night at Interlochen in 2005, when me and my then-boyfriend stayed up, snuck out of our cabins, and played in Kresge, the biggest auditorium on campus (also the biggest auditorium on my college campus! Coincidence?) with the moon casting this magical aura over everything. I remembered. Sooooo worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment