Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is it Friday yet?

I missed America's Next Top Model tonight because I was modeling. And I don't want to talk about it. But it ruined my night that I missed it. Of course that all stems from my being upset that I didn't make America's Next Top Model this season...but this is my flute blog. So. That's all I'll tell you.

Practiced today. For the first time in...six days? I am a winner. 12 minutes of Paul Edmund Davies warmups, 27 minutes desperately trying to work Maquarre with eh amounts of success, The Swan by Saint-Saens for 25 minutes, and Romance for 15, plus 30 minutes of coaching and 90 minutes of orchestra. About 200 minutes of playing all together.

I didn't sound incredible today but I was happy to be playing again (yesterday I didn't play because my body decided to feign aneurysm). Nariaki, my accompanist listened to me play The Swan and Romance with him, and he said that it's not my phrasing which is the problem, it's that I play all my intervals the same way. So...I sound flat. Not low flat, just flat flat. I thought that was an interesting idea. He mentioned that The Swan is quite hard for cellists, since the intervals are kind of strange and the cellist has to slide down the strings quite a bit, which totally affects the overall sound of the piece. He's a sharp one. And an amazing pianist.

Also, the third movement of Borodin's 2nd symphony is beautiful...bordering on Beethoven 7 beautiful, in my opinion. So y'all folks should check it out, and if you are in the Greencastle, IN area, come see our orchestra play it at 3 PM this Sunday!

And finally. My 20th Century Music Lit professor misspells something every class. "Pointilism". "Pierre Lunaire". Or she switches things up just enough to annoy me. Like saying Oedipus killed his mother. No. He did not. Elektra didn't kill her father. And so that's not what Strauss's Elektra is about.

Honest mistakes, I'm sure, but gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhd.

No comments:

Post a Comment